Mr. Riley Burkett is the candidate for the East Metro electorate for the Daylight Savings Party.
1)What do you currently know about firearms? No interest, poor, average, well-informed?
I personally have worked and lived on farms for intermittent periods of time and have participated in recreational hunting. My knowledge on specific firearms and firearm legislation is currently average.
2) Are you open to talking to us regarding firearms issues? Will you consult members of the industry before making/supporting changes to firearms legislation and only support changes based on evidence and fact rather than emotive arguments?
I am open to discussion on firearm issues. Given my personal experience, I understand the importance of firearms especially in rural communities and I hope to approach all issues with evidence and facts to achieve well-reasoned and integrated solutions.
3) Do you support further increases in firearms legislations?
I would welcome a conversation to better grasp the intricacies of the current legislation in order to form a fact based stance on the future state of firearm legislation. I support the environment, outdoor appreciation and recreation engagement and in turn will support legislation that pushes this agenda.Currently firearms in WA are licensed based on their appearance rather than functionality; will you support the WA Law Reform Commission’s recommendations to change this legislation?
4) Currently firearms in WA are licensed based on their appearance rather than functionality; will you support the WA Law Reform Commission’s recommendations to change this legislation?
5) What is your position on recreational hunting on public land? Do you support it?
If safety concerns and other risks can be effectively mitigated then recreational hunting on public land would receive my support. I believe it is the role of government to work with recreational hunting groups such as the Sporting Shooters Association Australia to provide an expanded and more consistent approach to engagement and coordination in pest control programs
6) Are you aware that WA firearms owners currently pay the highest administrative fees in Australia? What is your view on this and will you support bringing those costs down?
I was not aware of the current discrepancy in administration fees. Again based on evidence and available information I will support initiatives that support the Daylight Saving Party agenda.
7) Are you aware of the requirements to own a semi-auto rifle or shotgun? Would you consider a reduction in the restrictions on semi-auto rifles and shotguns if presented with facts to support this?
If the facts support a view which is conducive to Daylight Savings Party policy then I will consider the reduction.
8) Would you be open to an invitation to come out to a SSAA range and try shooting?
9) What is your party’s official firearms policy?