Lever Action Silhouette
In 2006, the SSAA Rifle Metallic Silhouette discipline
was approved to run the NRA Lever Action Silhouette Rifle match as a
national event. Unlike the current SSAA Rifle Metallic Silhouette Disciplines,
the Lever Action events can be contested on 100 and 200m Handgun Metallic
Silhouette ranges, thus opening up Rifle Silhouette to a larger number of
shooters who don’t have access to the 500m range required for the Centrefire
Silhouette Rifle match.
Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette video here
The following rules apply to all classes of rifle.
1. Rear sights may be open, receiver or tang sights manufactured for the rifle they are mounted on. The competitor may be required to provide documentary evidence to the Appeals Committee. Front sights must be post or bead, may be hooded or, if interchangeable, may use post-inserts only.
2. Barrels must be original or may be relined. Original barrels rebored to a larger calibre are allowed. Any safe trigger is allowed. Stocks must be of original configuration.
3. Ammunition may be loaded with smokeless or black powder, using jacketed or cast bullets, with or without gas checks. All bullets must be flatnose or round-nose, suitable for tubular magazine use. Any cartridge causing target damage or deemed unsafe may be banned.
4. Firing period will include a 30-second ready (loading) period and 2 minutes to fire five shots. Ammunition must be loaded though the tubular magazine. Alibis and shoot-offs will allow a 30-second ready period and 30 seconds for each shot.
5. Binoculars may be used for spotting. Use of spotting scopes, stands, shooting jackets, shooting vests, gloves and wind flags is prohibited.
6. Classification (grading): Master 37-40 AAA 31-36 AA 25-30 A 15-24 B 0-14
7. While not shooting, rifles must be empty of all rounds and cases. When racked, the actions must be visibly open.
8. Matches will be 40 shots or any multiple thereof.
9. Eye and ear protection will be strongly recommended for everyone on the range while the short-range matches are in progress.
The rules other than those mentioned for other aspects of this competition will come from the SSAA Rifle Metallic Silhouette rule book.
Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle was introduced on the SSAA National Championship calendar in early 2008. SSAA (ACT) Inc hosted the Inaugural Championships at the Majura Shooting Complex, ACT. This was an appropriate venue, as the very first National Lever Silhouette matches were conducted there in the late 1970s. Hopefully, other Handgun Metallic Silhouette clubs will pick up this event and do the same. The benefits are many, such as boosting usage, which also increases money from nominations.
Pistol Cartridge Lever Action Silhouette
1. Any lever-action centrefire rifle with a tubular magazine. A rimmed pistol cartridge must be used, such as .25-20, .32-20, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .38-40, .44 Magnum, .44-40, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .22 Magnum, .22 Long Rifle (LR). The case shall be no longer than 1.34".
2. Targets: Field Pistol (half size) at distances of 25m, 50m, 75m and 100m.
Smallbore Rifle Silhouette
1. Any lever-action, pump-action or selfloading rimfire rifle with a tubular magazine, in .22LR only. Use of hyper-velocity ammunition is prohibited.
2. Targets: Smallbore Pistol (3/8 size) at distances of 25m, 50m, 75m and 100m.
Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rule Book
Cowboy Lever Action Rule Book